Can international students work in
New Zealand?

Yes, it is possible to work while you are studying in New Zealand, but there are requirements and conditions.

  • Work Permits for Students

    Student visa holders may request a work permit while they are studying in New Zealand to work up to 20 hours per week and fulltime during summer holidays. The conditions for students to be allowed to work vary according to the course they are studying, length of the course as well as their English level. Please refer to the NZ immigration website for more information, or contact our team.
    You may also be eligible to an open work visa after completing a two-year diploma in New Zealand or a one-year diploma at level 7 or above.
    Take a look at our Study section for more information on Diploma courses.

  • Graduate Job Search Visa

    If you are a student who has completed a qualification or qualifications in New Zealand, but you do not have a job offer, you may be eligible for a Graduate Job Search Work Visa for a maximum of 12 months. Then, when you have found a job, you can apply for a further visa for up to two or three years under the Study to Work category.

    To be eligible for a Graduate Work Search Visa you must:

    • have successfully completed a qualification in New Zealand that meets the study to work qualification requirements
    • apply no later than three months (six months if you have completed a doctoral qualification)
      after the end date of the student visa for that qualification
    • provide evidence of a minimum of NZ$4,200 available to maintain yourself during your 12-month stay in New Zealand
      (we will accept traveller’s cheques or bank documents in your name)
  • Graduate Work Experience Visa

    If you are a student with an offer of employment relevant to your qualification, you may be eligible for a work visa and for a maximum period of:

    • two years; or
    • three years, if you are working towards obtaining a membership or registration from a New Zealand professional association which requires more than two years of relevant practical work experience.